Thursday, November 17, 2011

Preparations

I've settled in to working at McMurdo this week. I think I may have had some jetlag the first couple days, but sleeping with the sun up all the time and maintaining hydration have gotten easier. We've set up a workspace in a room shared with other groups preparing to go into the field. You can see about 6 group's equipment/containers in this pic.


The research building we are in is called the Crary lab, and like all the buildings here is up on stilts for the weather (see pic).

Actually the weather has been very pleasant in the upper 20's F. It's only when the wind blows that you feel the additional chill. I imagine my blood has thickened by this point so the cold will be more manageable when I'm in the field. I visited the lowest level of the lab where the aquatic animals are studied (see pic). There's a 5-legged white starfish that's all curled up and a yellow blob that looks very alien.

McMurdo is on an island which is currently surrounded by ice. The ice is what the three airports use for runways for the C17's C130's and even airbus 320 (for the Australian base -- nearby I suppose). The New Zealand base is within walking distance (in good weather).

I went to the yoga class held in "the chapel of the snows" on Wednesday. About 10 persons move the chairs aside and practice on carpet. Mondays are ashtanga and two other teachers lead classes Wednesday and Friday. The anusara teacher for wed was out so Julie (the Friday teacher) taught a vinyasa class that was very well suited for those attending. I'll go tonight and check out a mat so I can do my own full Mysore practice over the next couple days. I hear there's an aerobic and a weight gym around here somewhere, and happened upon the basketball court while looking for the helo-ops office to help arrange our flight cargo.

I introduced Jordan and Joulien to backgammon on Tuesday at the Coffee House, and we've played quite a bit since. last night we were all exhausted and just sat in the dorm watching the matrix.

Everyone eats in the same cafeteria, so it makes the 1100 person station a small community with familiar faces popping up all over. I've met with maybe two dozen persons in the course of making arrangements here, and everyone has been very friendly,skillful, and patient. I think the researchers who come through like us are the stressed ones, but that's expected given the magnitude of the logistics that have to be juggled.

Jordan is flying out tomorrow and I'll fly out 3 days later. Joulien may join me or fly out a few days later. I hear the internet link to the field camp is working so I will plan to continue blogging.

1 comment: